Friends of the New Animal Shelter believe that Chatham-Kent’s existing animal shelter is severely inadequate to care for the vulnerable pets awaiting adoption. The new shelter when built will include much needed appropriate space for animal care and safety. It will have space to support animal adoption and space for educational programming. We believe that the new centre would support other programs within Chatham-Kent which include reading programs, social skills development and student volunteer placements. The new animal centre will be a community resource.
Chatham-Kent Council approved the creation of our committee in late 2014.
The new shelter when built will include:
- 6,442 square feet
- 18 dog kennels with covered runs
- 3 isolation kennels
- 3 cat rooms including screened outdoor cat runs
- 1 cat isolation room
- 1 small animal room
- 1 multi-purpose room
- 1 veterinary and treatment room
- animal bathing and grooming room
- receiving and storage area
- staff and volunteer training room
- meeting room for community activities
The Fundraising campaign is underway to make this dream a reality.
Animal Shelter Location – The facility will be located on approximately 3.25 acres at 378, 390, 392 Park St and 405 Park Ave. East.